As experts in the senior living industry, we have many conversations about OSHA. Compliance is a key point of those conversations but preparation for a visit is even more important. An OSHA compliance officer can show up at a senior living community, unannounced, at any time during normal business hours. A single serious OSHA violation can cost over $13,000 with a willful and repeat violation penalty can cost over $130,000.
Their visit can be prompted by a number of reasons including:
- Your incident rate (which you are now required to provide) is above the national average so your location is now on their radar
- An employee has a grievance
- A referral was made by a public official
- Publicity from an event resulting in media coverage
- A major event required you to report to OSHA within 24 hours (i.e. an employee being admitted to the hospital overnight)
On March 14, 2019, AssuredPartners Senior Living will host an exclusive webinar on preparing for an OSHA survey and why you should care. The presentation will focus on why your location may be chosen for a survey, how and what to prepare in advance to ensure prompt compliance and the typical exposure areas OSHA emphasizes. Be informed and prepared for your next OSHA survey by registering for the webinar here.
This is the first in our 2019 Senior Living Webinar Series with the next installment focusing on Managing Requests for Medical Records coming in June. We encourage you to register early as space is limited. In the meantime, you may contact our senior living experts with any questions about risk solutions for the senior living industry.