Reliable transportation is an essential aspect of providing quality senior living services. It can be a challenge to find accommodable, conservative and timely transport methods. In some states, Medicaid is considering ridesharing services, such as Uber and Lyft, to provide easier and more flexible, efficient transportation methods. Larger senior living operators have partnered with these firms over the past couple of years as well. Shorter wait times and ease of trackability are two reliable measures that are attractive to senior living operators. However, with benefits also come risk.
If you are contemplating using ridesharing services to supplement transportation services, consider some of the following best practices:
- Vetting the service provide to address:
- Driver criminal background and driving record checks
- Vehicle inspections
- Driver identification
- Named as an additional insured on service provider’s auto liability policy
- Community meetings with residents to address those appropriate for service/caregiver assistance needs
- Process to communicate service concerns
Overall, it is the duty of senior living operators to provide safe and reliable medical assistance and transportation to its more codependent community. This could very well fill a need for your community. Reach out to the AssuredPartners Senior Living experts for further guidance on implement ridesharing services at your community.